Online sports betting is heading to the California ballot in November
Why you can trust Gamble USA
Gamble USA strives to improve your online gambling experience. We aim to help you play safely, make informed decisions when gambling, and increase your betting knowledge through our guides.
We adhere to strict editorial integrity; our content may contain links to products from our licensed & legal US partners.
California Online Sports Betting approved for November ballot
California residents will have the opportunity to vote on two ballot measures to legalize sports betting on November 8. One measure would permit sports betting in-person only at tribal casinos and the state’s four horse tracks. A separate initiative would let players use mobile apps to bet on sports.
According to the Times of San Diego, If a conflict occurs, the one with the higher total of “yes” votes would come into effect. No matter the outcome, there are expected to be legal challenges after the election. However, until then, both sides are spending millions of dollars on marketing campaigns to communicate their message.
In-person wagering at Tribal Casinos
In May, a sports wagering measure from the state’s tribes was approved to appear on the fall ballot. This item is called “California Sports Wagering Regulation and Unlawful Gambling Enforcement Act.”
If it gets approved in November, the tribes would be permitted to offer sports betting, roulette, and dice games at their California casinos. The initiative would also legalize on-site sports wagering at four thoroughbred race tracks.
The California Gambling Control Commission claims that 66 tribal casinos operate in the state. These casinos already provide slots and card games like blackjack but are not allowed to have sportsbooks or have more Las Vegas-style games without voter approval.
Mobile Betting will be on Ballot
Secretary of State Shirley N. Weber determined that the mobile sports wagering measure is qualified to be on the ballot. Weber said the results would be verified on Thursday, also stating that the required 1,096,853 voter signatures have been validated.
The initiative is called the “California Solutions to Homelessness and Mental Health Act.” It has received support from national online betting operators such as DraftKings, FanDuel, and BetMGM. Other brands that have given their backing to this constitutional amendment are Barstool, WynnBet Sportsbook, BallyBet, and Fanatics.
If voters approve this measure, online sportsbooks would be granted permission to sign partnerships with federally recognized tribes to offer mobile betting apps for players who are 21 years old or above. If this goes through, 85% of tax revenue will go to homelessness programs, and the other 15% will be sent to nonparticipating tribes.
Mattress Mack has his say on responsible gambling
A $75 million sports wagering win can buy you lots of things, but one of…
Can You Use a Prepaid Card on DraftKings?
As one of the most popular DFS and sports betting providers in the US, you…
SBK to launch new sportsbook in Indiana
SBK to launch sportsbook in Indiana The SBK sportsbook app developed by Smarkets will be…
MaximBet Sportsbook goes live in Indiana
MaximBet Sportsbook Now Live in Indiana Sports betting operator MaximBet has announced its sportsbook is…
PointsBet Sportsbook goes live in Louisiana
PointsBet Sportsbook Launches in Louisiana PointsBet sportsbook has officially launched in Louisiana. The Bayou State…
FanDuel Casino Reward Machine promotion now available online & app
FanDuel Casino launches new Daily Reward Promo The FanDuel Casino has launched a new promo…