Mobile sports betting apps are spreading like wildfire in the US currently. Since the 2018 Supreme Court ruling, online sports betting has become legal in 25+ states including Maryland.
If you’d like to find the best legal Maryland sports betting sites, we have curated a variety of options to check out.
As you may know, all betting apps in the US are not the same – some platforms offer better bonuses, in-app betting features, swift payments, and many more.
Is Sports Betting Legal in Maryland?
The 2018 Supreme Court ruling gave the much-needed lifeline to sports betting stakeholders in the US.
If you’re still in the dark, the apex court of the land ruled that PASPA (Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act) was illegal. This law was passed in October 1992 to curb widespread gambling back then. But after the judiciary overturned it, sports betting became legal at the federal level.
Maryland was one of the first states to adopt legal sports betting. This is after voters overwhelmingly approved the activity in the 2020 referendum. But surprisingly, Maryland sports bettors have had to wait a little longer to enjoy legal online sports betting on their local Maryland sports betting apps.
Maryland Sports Betting Timeline
- November 4, 2020: Marylanders vote in unison to approve statewide retail and online sports betting. 1.23 million voters answered “Yes” on Question 2.
- April 12, 2021: The Senate and House members approved HB 940 to make online and retail sports betting legal in the Free State on this date. The bill allows the state to issue at least 60 online sports betting licenses and retail betting licenses. The HB 940 bill became law on June 1, 2021.
- August 27, 2021: The state publishes the new laws to legalize online sports betting in the Maryland Register. In return, this triggered the 30-day window for public participation as the state law demands.
- October 6, 2021: Horseshoe Casino Baltimore, Maryland Live! Casino & Hotel, and MGM National Harbor receive sports betting licenses from Maryland Lottery and Gaming.
- December 9, 2021: John Martin, Director of Maryland Lottery & Gaming, said that the online gambling market would probably open in mid-to-end 2022 and the state will have legalized sports betting. The official was upbeat about this market launching before the September NFL season. Also, Governor Larry Hogan made the first legal sports wager in Maryland at MGM National Harbor on this day.
- January 10, 2022: The financial results for the retail Maryland sports betting market showed $16.55 million in sports betting revenue collected by the five retailers that opened operations in December. The total tax collection for public education was $469,297.
- April 11, 2022: Maryland sports betting operators rake in $3.9 million in Gross Revenue from sports bets, thanks to March Madness. The financial report reveals that Maryland retail sportsbooks collected a massive $31 million just from people placing a sports bet in March alone.
- April 21, 2022: Two additional retail bookmakers get approval from Maryland Lottery & Gaming to offer their services. The licenses are issued before findings by the Sports Wagering Application Review Commission (SWARC) are made public.
- May 6, 2022: Jason Robins, DraftKings CEO, reveals that the mobile sports betting app plans to go live in Maryland, probably before the 2022 NFL season.
- June 23, 2022: Pressure continues to mount on the state to legalize sports betting and approve online sports betting sites in Maryland. As a result, Fanatics became the first online sportsbook to launch before the NFL season.
- July 12, 2022: SWARC approved applications and regulations that don’t include gender and race-based criteria for online gambling licenses. The idea is to encourage everyone to participate in the Maryland sports betting market.
- August 2, 2022: Bingo World partners BetRivers Sportsbook to open the sixth retail betting venue in Maryland. Also, it’s the state’s first betting venue without casino services.
5 Best Betting Apps in Maryland for October 2022
In this section, we have provided a list of the 5 best Maryland online sports betting apps for customers residing in Maryland. They include:
#1 PointsBet MD Sportsbook
PointsBet is an Australian sports betting site that made its US debut in 2019. This bookmaker currently has an agreement with River on-the-Potomac to offer Maryland sportsbook and online betting services.
River on-the-Potomac is an off-track betting venue in Colonial Beach. In the PointsBet app, you’ll get a variety of sports, promotions, and competitive odds that you can’t find anywhere else.
New players are entitled to up to $2,000 risk free bets upon sign up. As expected, this bonus offer comes with a variety of terms and conditions. Make sure to read through them before opting for the package.
#2 FanDuel MD Sportsbook
FanDuel has everything that any avid sports bettor might require in their sports betting world. To begin with, FanDuel offers a risk-free welcome bonus of $1,000 on your first bet. For example, if you wager $100 and lose the bet, this sports betting app will refund you $100.
We find this bonus more potentially rewarding for bettors ready to risk massive amounts.
But huge bonuses alone don’t make a sportsbook, and FanDuel knows that. As such, they offer high-quality odds regardless of the betting market you choose. FanDuel Maryland offers popular markets like spread betting, totals, and moneyline and is by far one of the most popular and best Maryland sports betting apps available to Maryland residents.
In addition, FanDuel offers regular odds boosts, making your betting experience more exciting. Moreover, the “Cashout” feature allows you to withdraw before the match ends.
#3 DraftKings MD Sportsbook
DraftKings ticks almost all boxes of a reliable betting app. This mobile sports betting giant is licensed to operate in 15 states, including the densely populated New York. To start betting on DraftKings, download the mobile app and claim the welcome bonus after creating the account.
DraftKings welcomes new bettors with $50 free bet credits after depositing just $5. If that isn’t enough, claim the 20% up to $1,000 match bonus.
Besides the generous welcome bonus, DraftKings is known for its competitive odds and multiple markets.
Bettors can cover moneylines, spreads, totals, parlays, and more. In fact, their odds are slightly better than what you’ll find on most US betting apps. And let’s not forget the numerous in-app features.
#4 BetMGM MD Sportsbook
BetMGM was among the first to get the Maryland sports betting license. Like DraftKings, BetMGM is legal in numerous states, including NY.
After installing and signing up on the highly rated app, BetMGM offers bettors a $1,000 risk-free bet. Bettors just need to place a bet and get a refund in an equal amount if the bet loses.
Promotions aside, the BetMGM app covers several markets in major leagues, college sports, and international competitions.
The app features an A-Z menu with all popular sports including soccer, basketball, hockey, mixed martial arts, and more. Also, bettors can participate in in-state college sports betting and of course everyone’s favorite, NFL betting and NBA betting.
One standout feature that you’ll definitely like is the “Easy Parlay.” Bettors can create parlay bets on the app of any combination, giving you endless possibilities. The app also supports “One-Game” parlays.
#5 Caesars MD Sportsbook
Caesars Sportsbook is legal in several states, and the list now features Maryland. This relatively new betting app offers a world-class experience, thanks to the innovative features. Bettors can find markets in NFL, NBA, NHL, NASCAR, MLS, and other major leagues.
As for the welcome bonus, this mobile sports betting app welcomes bettors with a massive $1,250 first bet on Caesars. You won’t find such a welcome treat at most Maryland sports betting apps. The sportsbook also recently introduced Caesars Rewards, a promotion that targets loyal bettors, which are also included in the welcome package; get 1,000 Reward Credits® & 1,000 Tier Credits when you join.
This tiered program lets players earn more rewards with more gameplay. Players who earn credits from betting at Caesars Sportsbook Maryland can redeem the credits at Caesars Entertainment hotels and resort properties.
Sports Betting Apps Expected to Go Live in Maryland
The sports betting law in Maryland provides room for up to 60 official sports betting operator apps to be licensed. Although many names have been suggested, it’s clear that mobile sports betting apps that are already in partnership with local casinos will get first consideration.
Let’s take a brief overview of what to expect:
- BetRivers – Boasting an excellent desktop site and intuitive mobile app, BetRivers is a native sportsbook with footprints in 15+ states. New bettors at BetRivers get a $250 welcome bonus after making a $10 deposit. The juice lines are also above average, although rivals like BetMGM and FanDuel offer better odds.
- Unibet – Unibet is an experienced and trustworthy brand with licenses in Pennsylvania, Iowa, Arizona, New Jersey, Virginia, and Indiana. The 1x requirement on the welcome bonus is undoubtedly great, considering other sportsbooks like BetMGM impose 25x playthrough requirements. The sports coverage is also superb.
- bet365 – bet365 is another global brand likely to land the coveted Maryland online gambling license. Here, you’ll enjoy a vast game selection and multiple promotions, including the $200 risk-free bet. You just need to bet $1 and claim the reward with a 1x playthrough requirement. As it stands, bet365 is legal in Colorado and New Jersey.
- FOX Bet – FOX Bet is not as popular as its sibling, FanDuel. However, the betting app is already making significant inroads in the US, thanks to the exciting bonus promotions and competitive odds. FOX Bet is currently legal in four states, including Colorado, Michigan, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Maryland might follow soon.
- Fanatics – Fanatics was originally a merchandise and sportswear company. But in June 2022, they received their first license to offer gambling services in Maryland. Being a brand-new sportsbook, bettors should definitely keep an eye on big bonuses, competitive odds, quick support, and more.
- WynnBET – Created by Wynn Resorts, WynnBET has its headquarters in New Jersey, where the sportsbook already sponsors major franchises. Besides New Jersey, WynnBET is legal in Colorado, Indiana, New York, Arizona, and Virginia. The betting app offers risk-free bets, daily odds boost, early cashouts, and other exciting features.
- TwinSpires – Initially called BetAmerica, TwinSpires is an established racebook and sportsbook in the US. This bookie welcomes new bettors with a $1,000 risk-free bet on major leagues like the NBA, NFL, NHL, NCAAB, and more. Overall, you’ll find over 200 betting possibilities to exploit.
- Betsafe – Although Betsafe operates in Colorado only, the betting app has hinted at expanding to other jurisdictions soon. The sportsbook has been legal in Colorado since March 2022, covering NBA, MLS, NHL, and other competitions. At Betsafe, you can bet on 20+ sports with opportunities like moneylines, futures, props, totals, etc. Also, withdrawals via PayPal, Visa, and MasterCard are free.
- Betway – Betway is a UK-owned sportsbook that offers markets in Colorado, Indiana, New Jersey, Iowa, and Pennsylvania. The betting app covers 17+ sporting events, including international competitions in Europe. However, the welcome bonus might vary between states. For example, Indiana, Colorado, and Iowa bettors get $250 in risk-free bets, whereas Pennsylvania and New Jersey bettors get $1,000.
- SugarHouse – SugarHouse Sportsbook is only legal in two states, including New Jersey and Connecticut, where it launched in 2018 and 2019, respectively. SugarHouse covers sports such as football, rugby, basketball, soccer, hockey, and other American favorites. Also, the sportsbook gives new bettors a $250 match bonus to try their luck on all sporting events.
- MaximBet – In 2020, MaximBet announced its grand entrance into the US market through Colorado. There are also signs that MaximBet will go live in Indiana, New Jersey, and Iowa soon. At MaximBet, bettors enjoy many promotions, including abnormally big odds boosts. The betting sites also offers bettors daily and weekly cashback.
Online & Retail Betting Partnerships in Maryland
As Maryland is gearing up to open one of the most robust online sports betting markets in the US, some online sportsbooks already have a front foot. In other words, sports betting sites with betting partnerships in Maryland will get first consideration.
So below is a list of Maryland’s existing sports betting partnerships:
- FanDuel Sportsbook – Maryland Live! Casino & Hotel
- Caesars Sportsbook – Horseshoe Casino Baltimore
- BetMGM – MGM National Harbor
- Pointsbet – Riverboat on the Potomac
- BetRivers – Bingo World
- Betfred – Long Shot’s
Teams & Events to Bet in Maryland
All legal sportsbooks in Maryland offer betting markets in all popular North American Leagues. So in this part, we’ll discuss all available betting leagues in Maryland and the US at large.
NFL (National Football League) Betting
Maryland sportsbooks cover all NFL matches with incredible odds in totals, moneyline, props, and point spreads. You can also bet on NFL parlays or accumulator bets which involve placing a wager with two or more markets.
Overall, there is a glossary of odds when it comes to betting on American Football.
MLB (Major League Baseball) Betting
Baseball has a rich history on American soil. Many people remember playing this game in the warm summer at the ballpark while eating hotdogs. The best Maryland sportsbooks cover the long MLB season with many betting options.
Baseball’s most popular betting markets include moneyline, totals, and run line/point spread. Remember that MLB betting apps feature 30 teams from the US and Canada, with each team playing 162 games. Therefore, there’s no shortage of MLB betting opportunities.
NBA (National Basketball Association) Betting
The NBA is the apex basketball league in the US. It features 30 teams, one from Canada and 29 from the US. Usually, the NBA regular season starts at the tail-end of October, with each team playing 82 games.
Also, the NBA is the only league that schedules matches on Christmas Day, with Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays being the busiest days in the regular season. Popular NBA markets include moneylines, points spreads, totals, player props, and futures.
NHL (National Hockey League) Betting
NHL is another legal sports betting opportunity in Maryland as long as you’re 21 years old. This professional ice hockey league comprises seven teams from Canada and 25 from the United States. When betting on NHL, the most popular wager is straight money line bets. It’s also common to find Maryland sportsbook apps offering parlays, totals, futures, props, and puck lines. Typically, regular NHL seasons run from October to June.
MLS (Major League Soccer) Betting
Soccer might not be trendy in the US as it is in Europe and South America. However, this doesn’t prevent mobile sports betting sites from offering competitive soccer odds. The good thing about betting on soccer is that the markets can cover almost anything.
For example, you can play it safe with double-chance bets by backing a team to win or draw. Other soccer markets include same game parlays, spreads, totals, props, round robins, Asian handicaps, and more. And remember, moneyline bets can also have a tie bet.
Features of Maryland Betting Apps
Not all Maryland betting apps are equal because some sports betting companies have more in-app features than others.
So, what are some of these betting app features that you should look for? Let’s find out!
Free bets & bonuses
100% 1st Deposit Match Up To $250
- Extensive game selection
- Great loyalty program
100% 1st Deposit Match Up To $250
Free Bet Up To $500
- Promo Code: SPORTS
- Regular promos & rewards
- Generous sign up bonus
Free Bet Up To $500
Get A $250 Risk-Free Bet
- Awesome free bet bonus
- Massive market choice
Get A $250 Risk-Free Bet
New Player $250 Risk-Free Bet
- Live In-Game Betting
- Odds Boost
New Player $250 Risk-Free Bet
Claim A $1,000 Risk-Free Bet
- Sports Betting & Casino
- In-game betting
Claim A $1,000 Risk-Free Bet
New Player $100 Deposit Bonus
- Fantastic sign up bonus
- Huge range of bet types
New Player $100 Deposit Bonus
Bet $1, Get $200 In Free Bets
- Easy and fast banking options
- Huge welcome free bet
Bet $1, Get $200 In Free Bets
New Player $1,000 Risk-Free Bet
- Huge free bet offer
- Live betting & Odds boosts
New Player $1,000 Risk-Free Bet
Here, bettors place a bet and win the amount if they lose. But because risk-free bets only apply to the first bet, a Maryland sports betting app may opt to offer new bettors match bonuses and free bet credits. Just deposit a minimum amount and claim the reward.
Creating a betting account using Maryland sportsbooks is relatively quick and straightforward. After launching the registration form, you’ll enter information like email, username, address, and more.
Then, the sports betting site will instantly send you a confirmation email or SMS. Also, you can simply log into the betting app if you already have an account with the sportsbook.
Android and iOS apps
According to the latest numbers, 47% of adults in the US use smartphones. This translates to around 294 million users.
Several banking options
Banking is another critical feature that a sportsbook must have. In Maryland, legal sports betting sites allow bettors to deposit and withdraw via multiple methods. For e-wallet users, these betting apps support PayPal, Skrill, Venmo, Play+ prepaid cards, and more.
Safety & support
Any sports betting app you download from App Store or Play Store is safe and secure. But even with that, it’s still best to ensure that the betting app is legal in your state.
In addition to safety and security, these apps also feature quick support via multiple channels. You can reach the sportsbook support via live chat, email, or phone through the app.
Dynamic sports betting options
The betting opportunities you’ll get on the mobile app aren’t any different, even if you visit the retail venue. Bettors can bet on all markets, including live betting opportunities. You can even cash out directly from the betting app.
Massive sports coverage
As expected, Maryland betting apps cover all local and international sports. Bettors can access irresistible odds from NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, NHL, and other major leagues.
Reliable sports betting apps in Maryland must be licensed by the Sports Wagering Application Review Commission. Most of these apps are also legal in neighboring states like Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Arizona, and more.
Factors to Consider When Picking an MD Betting App
Up to this point, you should have a rough idea of choosing the right betting app. However, there are some critical considerations that you should never ignore. They include:
Before joining a sportsbook, you should always find out how good the betting odds are. But to do that, you must learn how to read the odds. Most times, the odds are better with how popular the sport is in the region.
For example, bookmakers in North Carolina will offer better basketball odds because the sport is prevalent in that area. The same applies to soccer odds in Europe.
Also, try to compare odds between different bookmakers before signing up. Here’s an example; a sports betting site may offer you -135 odds in a moneyline NFL match.
Now suppose you bet $90, this will give you a total win of $156.67. So, confirm with your math to know which app offers the best odds.
Many people confuse sports betting lines and odds. But there’s a big difference. In sports betting, the bookmaker can set odds for the underdog and the favorite.
Now, this handicap will generate a margin between the two teams. This is what we call lines. So, in short, a line is the margin between two possible outcomes or odds.
For instance, a bookmaker may believe that the New York Giants are 20 points better than Miami Dolphins. The sportsbook will then handicap the Giants by 20 points, giving you the line bet. The playing field is even in such a scenario because either team can win you the wager.
Betting on live matches has become trendy these days. Live betting is placing a wager on an event that has already started. This can add fun and excitement to the game, especially if you love watching the games.
Interestingly, live bets cover almost all sports and markets you’ll find on the Maryland betting app.
But online sports betting sites know you can be far from your screen during live events. So, to help you follow and analyze the event, most support live streaming with in-depth analysis.
This feature includes vital game stats like injuries, fouls, possession, and more. And, of course, the statistics refresh automatically.
Early cash out
Have you ever felt like withdrawing from a bet early when things are still favoring you? That’s precisely what you get with the “Cashout” feature.
This feature ensures that bettors can withdraw from a bet and request a payout before the bet is settled. Just think of it as highlighting from a vehicle before reaching the destination.
But although receiving a payout early enough is good, the bet odds will reduce depending on the duration.
For example, if you cash out earlier when your team is still ahead, the payout will be low compared to opting out later in the game. Also, some game and betting markets may not be eligible for early cashouts. So, be sure to check that.
Consider this; you and your friend place a $20 bet on the team that will win this weekend’s match. Now, the winner will walk away with $40 ($20 + $20). But if you bet at a sportsbook, the bookmaker will take a cut, meaning you’ll get less if the bet wins.
This is the juice, and it is the house edge in online casinos.
For example, an online sports betting site can offer -110 odds on either team to cover the spreads in a point spread bet between Ohio State and Penn State. These odds indicate that bettors must pay $10 regardless of their chosen side.
To put it simply, you risk $11 to win $10. So, if the odds are -120, the juice is 20% of your total bet on both sides.
How to Bet on Sports in Maryland
Now without dilly-dallying around, let me walk you through the quick and easy steps to bet on any sport in Maryland.
Step 1: Create a mobile sports betting account
Start by finding an app that holds retail sports betting licenses awarded by Maryland’s sports betting legislation…this is quite easy – no names on our lists are unlicensed! After finding a reliable sportsbook, open the registration form and enter the requested details.
Always avoid giving the wrong information or using aliases, as this can land you in trouble during the KYC (Know Your Customer) process.
Step 2: Download the app (or not)
Next up, head to Play Store or App Store to download the Android or iPhone app. Remember, Android recently lifted the ban on real-money gambling apps. But if you can’t find the app, head to the sportsbook website and install the APK, although that’s rare these days.
Step 3: Make a deposit
To start betting, you’ll need to make an initial deposit at the virtual cashier. Note that the minimum deposit can vary between Maryland gambling apps. After depositing, claim your deposit match bonus.
Sometimes you might need to enter the bonus code to unlock the deposit. Also, use a banking method that qualifies for the deposit bonus.
Step 4: Choose a sports category
Head to the “sports” category and search for the name of the sport you want to bet on. You can also search in the A-Z category to help you find the league or sport quickly.
Step 5: Select your bets and confirm
Last but not least, fill the bet slip with the markets you’ve selected. You can choose different bets depending on your preference. Once you find the right bets, check the payout and confirm the bet. You’ll receive a payout if the bet is successful.
Regulatory Betting Authorities in Maryland
Betting activities in Maryland state are licensed and regulated by the Maryland State Lottery and Gaming Control Agency. The commission approves all gaming regulations in the state and proposed legislative changes.
Put simply, MLGCA ensures compliance with all gaming regulations in the state.
On the other side, SWARC (Sports Wagering Applications and Review Commission) reviews and awards betting licenses. The commission awards licenses to casinos, retail betting services, qualified horse tracks, and commercial bingo entities.
Additionally, the law allows the commission to award up to 60 online betting licenses. The mandate or SWARC ends in January 2028.
Legal Maryland Sports Betting FAQs
Is online sports betting legal in Maryland?
Sports betting in Maryland is 100% legal. This is after voters overwhelmingly approved it on the ballot in November 2020 before legislatures passed the BH 940 Bill in April 2021. However, the online gambling market officially launched in September 2022.
What is the expected monthly handle from sports betting in Maryland?
Sports betting handle in Maryland totaled $25.5 million in February. This was just five months after full operation by the five retail sportsbooks. In January, the handle was even higher at $32.5 million. And in May, retail sports betting sites handled $26.9 million.
Which MD teams have partnered with betting sites?
Expect significant partnerships with giant bookmakers such as Caesars and DraftKings already operational in Maryland. A good example is the Baltimore Ravens, which already has partnerships with DraftKings, Caesars, and BetMGM. Sorry Washington Football team fans out there. You’ll just have to wait.
How old do I need to be to bet online from Maryland?
The legal sports betting age in Maryland is 21 years. However, this might change depending on the activity. For example, you need to be at least 18 years old to bet on poker, lottery, and horse racing.
Are sports betting winnings taxable in Maryland?
Yes, both residents and non-residents in Maryland must pay income tax on all their gambling winnings. Usually, the gambling site will subtract 24% if you win at least $5,000.
Can I bet on sports with my phone in Maryland?
The new Maryland sports betting laws allow the state to license 60 mobile betting apps. So, yes, sports bettors in MD can bet using a standalone mobile app or browser.
Can I use an MD betting app if I’m not a resident?
You don’t have to be a resident in MD to bet on sports. However, you must be within the state to bet on sports.